Thursday, November 15, 2007

Do I Smell Like Fish?

Every time I forget something, anything, I think "Oh, no, it's starting," since Alzheimer's follows genetically.

I recently read that a diet with ample Omega-3 fatty acids can cut the risk of development of Alzheimer's disease by 50%. Omega-3, for those of you not familiar, is oil extracted from cold water fish like salmon. It's also in Flaxseed, but the fish and flaxseed compounds are different, and I think that the flaxseed isn't as good. Using flaxseed oil explains why items such as margarine can be fortified with Omega-3 and not taste like fish.

Omega-3 is also helpful in fighting high cholesterol.

Another theory that I've heard is that weight gain can be attributed to a ratio imbalance between Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. Omega-6 are in vegetable oils so we get that from most fried (fast) foods and any foods with soybean oil in the ingredients. With a diet high in Omega-6 (most Americans) and low in Omega-3 (I don't like salmon), the imbalance can cause weight gain. So maybe I will lose a few pounds while I'm at it.

I took my first giant gelcap today with a big lunch. Some complain of a fishy after taste but I didn't experience that.
*

1 comment:

RG said...

You don't need to lose weight. :)